March 29, 2012
Faced with the ever increasing costs of today’s wedding celebrations, couples are more focused than ever of ways to stretch their wedding dollars. Environmental concerns like recycled wedding dresses, paperless invitations, and locally sourced menus and gifts are moving to the forefront of today’s weddings.
Here are some ideas that will help you to reduce the costs of your wedding and that will have a big environmental impact.
- Start with the wedding dress. Brides spend hours, if not days, driving from one bridal boutique to another in search of the perfect gown. Consider spending time looking for a gown online, usually at a fraction of the cost. (Preowned Wedding Dresses or Wore It Once). Yes, you will be wearing a dress that has been worn once before, but saving hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a designer dress may be well worth the compromise. Keep in mind that men have rented tuxedos for decades!
- Once your wedding day has passed, consider recycling/selling – your wedding dress, and funneling the proceeds toward expenses. Better yet, donate your wedding dress to a charity (Brides Against Cancer or Bridal Garden) that offers less fortunate brides an opportunity to wear a “new” dress on their Special Day.
- Visit garage sales for chalkboards to replace paper wedding programs, seating cards and menus. Reducing paper waste at your wedding never looked so stylish!
- Electronic wedding communication is so much more convenient than snail-mail and is becoming socially accepted. And with so many online save-the-dates, reply cards and invitations to choose from, e-vites are becoming very popular. They are also less expensive than paper and help to reduce wedding waste.
- A smaller guest list generates less waste, creates more intimacy, and gives you more options when choosing a wedding venue….not to mention the cost savings!
- Registries (Green Bride Guide or Green Wedding Guide) have begun an all-out push to “Go Green” with extensive options for couples who want to receive ethically-made gifts that support eco-friendly products as an alternative to traditional gifting.
Couples are beginning to discover the significant financial and environmental benefits, of wedding recycling. Keep an eye open for ways couples recycle and reuse wedding items ….
Follow along at our blog. We post lots of content that will help you create your perfect, hopefully stress-free, wedding day.
Go, check out our Tips and Suggestions and we’ll catch up with you next time!